Welcome to Mood Swings and Hot Flashes

This is my little contribution to women and men of the world who undergo, experience, endure...the wonderful and terrifying world that menopause can sometimes be. I'm hoping it will be a helpful and perhaps at times, humorous addition to your (our) voyage through this bumpy road that life gives us.

About Me

My name is Buddy and I live in Massachusetts with my lovely (perimenopausal) wife and three cats: Jalepeno, Thai, and Cricket; or as we call them Wenyo, Bo, and Crackhead. I'm an internet marketer, tai chi teacher and alternative health professional. I am co-owner of Harmony Healthworks, LLC with my student Keith. We practice oriental bodywork, energy healing, qigong, and structural alignment. We teach people how to be more comfortable in their own bodies and to develop a deeper sense of self and well-being.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

How About an Herbal Menopause Remedy?

When I first started researching topics dealing with my wife’s mood swings and hot flashes, I came upon a web site that suggested using a natural herbal menopause remedy. We are always concerned about what goes into our bodies, and I wanted to find something that would help alleviate her symptoms. There is surprisingly a great deal of information about the use of a herbal menopause remedy. Here’s what works and why.

One of the herbs most frequently mentioned is Black Cohosh. This herb is wonderful for relieving hot flashes and seems to help reduce cramps and congestion, as well. Black Cohosh has been used by Native American women for generations for alleviating these sometimes debilitating symptoms.

Chaste tree is another herb that is widely used. The berry from this plant is an excellent hormone balancer and is used for alleviating a woman’s depression.

Oddly enough, one of the more common herbs used in helping a woman overcome menopausal symptoms can be found right out in your backyard (although I’d probably find a purer source). Dandelion root is a liver cleanser and also acts as a hormone balancer.

We’ll take a trip to the Orient for the next useful herb-ginseng. Studies show that ginseng strengthen the adrenal glands, enhances your immune system’s function, increases energy, and helps normalize blood pressure. Of course, today a great deal of the ginseng used here in the US is grown right here.

Now, you’ll always want to consult your physician before beginning any regime of herbal medicine to make certain that it doesn’t interfere with any other medicines you might be taking. My wife did this as well, of course. She has found that a combination of proper diet and exercise (particularly the tai chi standing I taught her) works well. Then she combined those with herbs, and menopause symptoms have reduced dramatically. I hope the same can happen for you!

So there, we’ve covered some the more commonly used herbal menopause remedies and the symptoms that they can address. There are more, of course, but these are some of the more commonly used ones.


No comments: